In honor of Susan’s 25th year of service with ShelterCare, we strived to learn more about Susan by asking 25 questions about everything from her favorite foods to who makes her laugh more than anyone else.
- Would you rather go to a play or a musical?
Probably a play — sometimes the story line is a little weak in musicals, though not always.
- Hike or bike?
I like both!
- What’s your favorite color?
Depends on the day. Today? Navy. Yesterday? Yellow.
- Pen or pencil?
- Who inspires you?
Sister Monica Heeran is one of the women in my life who demonstrated that strength and humility are complementary characteristics. She was a model and a mentor to me.
- Do you believe in ghosts?
Well, I didn’t until I had this experience in 2008 that has me wondering.
- Is there a documentary or book that really changed the way you think about something?
Oh, so many — hard to name just one.
- Who makes you laugh more than anyone?
My husband and best friend, Bob.
- What superpower would you most like to have?
To not get tired or weary or sleepy.
- If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would it be?
I miss my family. They are 2,000 miles away. It would be nice to pop in any time I wanted.
- What was your dream job growing up?
When I was in high school I thought I’d be a counselor for young adults in the correction system. I’d spent a summer at a camp outside of Seattle working with inner city kids in detention.
- If you could time travel, would you go to the past or the future?
- Name three things in nature you find most beautiful
Waterfalls, the ocean, hummingbirds
- What’s your favorite ice cream flavor?
- What’s your favorite smell in the whole world?
We have a “Dijon Honey” rose bush, and that rose’s scent is exquisite.
- What’s your favorite time of day?
Early morning when the air is crisp and the sun is just coming up.
- Cake or pie?
- What is the best piece of advice you’ve received?
At my first professional job, a quote from a professor at Notre Dame: “I used to complain about all the interruptions to my work until I realized that the interruptions were my work.”
- If you could shop for free at one store, which one would you choose?
- Would you rather watch Star Wars or Star Trek?
- Do you play a musical instrument?
- Were you named after someone?
Not really, though my father’s mother was Susannah. She was Hungarian and immigrated to the U.S. as a teenager from Hungary.
- Do you have any pets?
A 5-year-old Boxer named Archie.
- Have you ever met a famous person?
Had lunch with “Daddy King” (The Father of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.) when I was in fourth or fifth grade.
- Which do you prefer, sunrises or sunsets?